Experienced Electrician! Here to Answer Any and All Growroom Electrical Questions

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design & Setup' started by bricktown73, Apr 7, 2009.


    CaliWorthington Well-Known Member

    The AC outlets are being used for electricity distribution, so in order to maintain continuity, I will install a junction box in the wall and run to the timer from there.

    Djreed57 Member

    Hey Brick thank you in advance for reply was only an electrician for one year haha. I assume I am okay since nothing has tripped for couple years but just want to make sure. I have a 20 amp circuit that I run (2) 1000 watt lights a 6" exhaust blower and a 16" oscillating fan on. I KNOW this is cutting it close to 20 amps am I safe or could this start a fire one day? I tried running an extension cord from another circuit to take the load of one of the lights but the cord and the timer burnt and melted together, was hard to get them apart so that made me nervous. Was this just because the timer shouldn't be on an extension cord (12 gauge). Thank you -Dan

    Djreed57 Member

    If Brick is no longer giving the expertise please anyone with the knowledge please pass it on thanks

    SnapsProvolone Well-Known Member

    Start your own thread. This one is a cluster fuck.
    Silky Shagsalot

    Silky Shagsalot Well-Known Member

    ask snaps dj, he knows....

    trickyricky22 New Member

    Hi folks, I'd like to replace the panel in my apartment while its hot and am looking for some expertise.

    posted the long story here. thanks for any help!

    SnapsProvolone Well-Known Member

    No. You need a licensed electrician and a permit to rewire a multiple occupancy dwelling. No DYI. Puts other occupants at risk.

    JSJ Active Member

    Question, or problem, for the experts.

    My daughter plugged her iPad charger into an outlet in her room. Meanwhile, upstairs in the attic, an off lightbulb starts flickering. I had her unplug the charger, in her room, and the lightbulb, in the attic, goes back off.

    I am competent in fixing wiring, but I don't know where to start here.

    Thanx for all help guys

    SnapsProvolone Well-Known Member

    Sounds like someone took a switchleg and tried using it as a feed. Making it such that the receptacle is wired in series with the light.
    wheels619 likes this.

    oakley1984 Well-Known Member

    lets see if anyone here can answer this... as im not 100% sure on it

    we all know watts = voltage x amperage

    now heres the q... i have a connector i need to use to hookup a 1000w ballast so i dont have to do a fuckload of rewiring.

    the connector is rated at 250v 10a, this should be equiv to 125v @ 20a correct?

    just dont want to overload the connector!

    Stevie51 Member

    The connector is rated to be used for voltages up to 250 volts. The connector is rated for a maximum ampacity (the maximum amount of electrical current) of 10 amps. Regardless if you are using 120 volts or 240 volts, you are not allowed to exceed 10 amps through the connector. Wattage is best described as "the amount of electrical energy being consumed by the appliance" govern by the resistance, and/or impedance, of the appliance at a given voltage.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

Share This Page