Go to the bottom for the summary if you don't want to read it all- I thought about starting this thread because of a couple reasons, I have found some alternate mats to use for a hydro and also to let people see how it goes for me. When I grow indoors I love doing hydro, I love being able to push the plants right to the edge of their potential and knowing whether I've went too far within a few hours, and when I do hydro I LOVE trays. But anyway on to the story. I started up my hydro with some mats I had left over from a while ago, I decided to do a perpetual grow which meant I needed more trays. I drove an hour away to an awesome hydro store that has never failed me before.... well I get there with a couple hundred bucks in my pockets and I leave with a couple hundred buck in my pocket... I was very pissed. I then found another hydro store a little closer but it was not the type of store we are all used to, so they didn't have what I needed.. Trying to buy these trays online are WAY too expensive and often not discreetly packaged. And the same goes with some rock wool cubes/slabs. After some research and thinking, I decided to make trays out of 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe. Something that looks just like an NFT system except I like feeding each one with a drip line. I did 2" cuttings with 3" net pots that I cut out about 1/2" out of them to fit snuggly into the holes. I know what you thinking, why not just do the NFT system? Well, I don't like that if the power goes out then theres no medium to hold some water for the plants to drink at least for a few hours. Again rock wool slabs can be expensive and sometimes hard to get. So after doing some research I came across QUILT BATTING. I bought some non fire retardant quilt batting for about $13 it was 5' long about 4' wide, thats a pretty good amount for cheap. From my reading the batting is ph neutral and a great material for the roots to grow through and receive plenty of air mixed with the water. The quilt batting holds a pretty good amount of water, Not as much as rock wool but still plenty in case they had to miss a couple of waterings due to a power outage. Each clone is taken from the cloner and put into a 1" plug and then sat into the net pots, I fill in the space and make sure they are sturdy with broken up pieces of rock wool cubes that I have left over, when I am all out of rock wool I will wrap them in the quilt batting. My tubes will be 5' Long, just enough for 8 plants each, I'll have a couple tubes on my table. Below are some pics of the system. I already have some plants on the table that are almost done, the new clones are beside them to help shield them from light until they can adjust from the transplant. Summary: Shit is expensive and hard to find if you don't have a good hydro store close by. And getting stuff mailed to you isn't as safe or discreet as you may like. I found alternate materials that you should be able to find no matter where you are. Heres some pics. I'll try to keep this updated as much as possible for the information of it all. This isnt really a grow log/report, but I will report on how they are doing because it may be directly related to the materials used. These are Swami seeds The Yogi, cloned with hearty strong roots. Sorry in advance for the orange light, I'll jump in the room just before lights on and take some pics with regular light. Pics don't want to upload but I'll get them in as soon as I can.