mold on buds during flowering+possible solutions I havent seen on here

SaneLawsMake4SaneSociety

Well-Known Member
hi,

I have a plant with a mold issue due to a bunch of wet weather causing seriously high humidity that I could not do anything about at the time.

I have researched a lot, and I have 5 things that may be (at least partial) answers to the mold issue for some, and would like input on them.

The first 4 are potentially for plants that are still vegging or blooming, the last, only for already harvested bud.


  • The first, and most promising, is that AFAIK, there is no kind of mold that can survive direct sunlight for a fairly sustained period of time. (I had other mold issues with other things before, and I found out that cleaning as best you can, then putting a moldy item in direct full sunlight is one way people deal with mold issues. I did it with a floor matt a while ago, and sure as shit, it worked very well. The only evidence of the mold that remained was where the mold had rotted the fabric. Other than that, it was mold free, and the mold hadnt returned a few months later when I finally got another bathroom matt.)So, for this one, could hitting the plant with a fairly strong spray of water to get rid of as much of the bulk of the mold as possible, then getting it out in the sunlight (preferably on very dry days, but the bright sun is most important) work to get a plant to its harvest date.
The next few are less promising, but may be a way to just mitigate the mold, if you have no other choice.
  • Ozone generators (not ionizers, which make a little bit of ozone, but full on ozone generators) create enough ozone to kill mold, and maybe putting one on at medium strength until the end of the grow cycle could at least slow down the mold, if the room stays dry enough. Thoughts?

  • third, vinegar is one way people get rid of mold. I have read that it is actually more effective, long term, than bleach. So, will spraying vinegar on a plants mold, after getting rid of the bulk, and getting it dry as quickly as possible, be of any use in slowing it down? Will vinegar hurt your plants? Maybe even just some vinegar?

  • The next item is tea tree oil. It is a natural extract from a tree (not the one that we get tea to drink from). It is very effective at killing mold. Could this be used with minimal or no damage to the usability of the buds?(maybe mixing tea tree and vinegar, like I did for some moldy household items with great success?)
The last idea is one that only applies to buds that are already picked.
  • I have read that temps of above 168 degrees F will kill mold spores, and break down most, if not all of the toxic chemicals in the mold and spores. Since People bake with weed, at least some of the thc is not wasted by getting the temps up to 350 or more. I have even heard of people baking their bud at low temps before making hash or honey oil, in order to dry it out (for some reason).If the THC can survive baking, then maybe a bag of moldy weed could be gently rinsed, and then baked at a temp high enough to kill off the mold, but low enough to not completely destroy what we want out of the bud.

  • There is one more thing, but you all probably have thought about it already. Making honey oil with butane may be a way to salvage the thc out of moldy bud, although it is not the most desirable form of weed for all. It is definitely better than throwing it all out for most though.

Any knowledgeable input at all would be greatly appreciated!
 

SaneLawsMake4SaneSociety

Well-Known Member
  • Ozone generators (not ionizers, which make a little bit of ozone, but full on ozone generators) create enough ozone to kill mold, and maybe putting one on at medium strength until the end of the grow cycle could at least slow down the mold, if the room stays dry enough. Thoughts?
One thing to note..VERY IPORTANT: Ozone is something you want to avoid breathing in. It can cause serious issues, including death, for you, or any other people or animals who do breathe it in.
 

Ronjohn7779

Well-Known Member
If you can't get rid of the mold on your buds and it just won't go away I'd just personally make bubble hash out of it.
 

PYRO35

Member
HOWDY !
Ive been fighting the same thing and my plants are over 8ft now....1st time medical grower and humidity in the greenhouse even with fans is too much inside for the big buds..
heres some of the advice ive been useing from all over the net.
pick out the mold asap or remove the branch..
use a fungicide to spray the spots.
lower humidity if ya can - i just put in a small wood stove in the greenhouse for eves...(dont cook your plants) small fire well vented.
keep fan on them all the time helps lower the humidity on the plant.
carefuly pull small buds away from the stem to check other spots and if infected spray again before they grow.
there is no way to control it except lower humidity and kill or remove the mold - and its everywhere in the north west outside--
in the future i will do this when flowering begins spray the plants down very well with fungicide (only if you have problems with mold in the past) and then when needed if spots come up.
also if ya got these problems in the past then stay away fron the (big bud) plants and go for smaller buds and grow more to make up for it.
its easyer to keep the inside of smaller buds dry.
the only thing id like to know more about is the fungicide to use ???
the garden shops and everyone has an idea and why they like one or the other but what do the EXPERTS say ???
we really need to know what is the best one for our health etc... the growers around here use sulpher based ones ...has anyone ever done lab tests on medical marijuana to tell us whats the right one to use ???
i do know if its moldy we go to hash,,,,dont smoke that shit.
HAPPY TRAILS
PYRO35
 

Nadia786

Active Member
[/LIST]
One thing to note..VERY IPORTANT: Ozone is something you want to avoid breathing in. It can cause serious issues, including death, for you, or any other people or animals who do breathe it in.
This is not true at all, do not believe their lies only extremely huge amount of Ozone could hurt you! And no one could stand in such environment unless stuck!
They demonize ozone the same way they do THC.
They don't like it when something cheap works on so many levels!Bad for money and death profiteering!

Ozone is good for clearing smoke and all bad smell in your house also bacteria, fungus and other nasties.
When breath in it will help greatly your body by neutralizing toxic chemicals and tar, so easier for you to eliminate!
It is fume from engines that are the cause of death.Of course you are going to find ozone in smog because ozone is attracted to it and is trying to neutralize pollution!
Because our bodies are so full of pollutants we go into detox shock when too much ozone is inhaled, irritation in lungs and rash appears.But eventually you will heal and body clean, no more phlegm in lungs and pimples gone...Only wise you increase ozone level slowly and not go to extreme ....Common sense.
 
>
Top