I have a mechanical timer, the kind with a dial that you use to set the time, and on/off increments of every 15 minutes. the directions have a warning saying not to plug it into a power strip or extension cord, instead they say plug it directly into an outlet. Is that just overcautious? The timer pulls 15 amps and I'd like to plug the timer into an extension cord rated for 13 amps, then into the power strip. So it would plug in in this order: 100 or so watts of CFLs (pulling very few amps I imagine) -> 15 amp timer -> 13 amp extension cord -> surge protecting power strip -> power outlet. Is this safe? should I upgrade extension cords to one rated for 15 amps, just to be safer? anybody else help me from experience? Thanks.