How autoflowering strains work?

Discussion in 'General Marijuana Growing' started by Shredder111, Aug 19, 2008.

  1.  
    Shredder111

    Shredder111 Well-Known Member

    How do they work? How were they made? Are autoflowering strains organic? Will they flower in the middle of summer in the full-on photoperiod?

    Thanks much, bongsmilie
  2.  
    Shredder111

    Shredder111 Well-Known Member

    OMG, its been friggin 2 hours and only 3 views. WTF!? If somebody made a thread about the word cock, it would fetch more views and replies.
  3.  
    Shredder111

    Shredder111 Well-Known Member

    14 views... nothing... This is MADNESS!!!!!
  4.  
    tehdansauce

    tehdansauce Well-Known Member

    i believe no one is replying because it is a very dumb question. Organic has nothing to do with the strain and all to do with the medium used to grow a plant. As for the autoflowering... yes it will flower in any photoperiod.
  5.  
    Shredder111

    Shredder111 Well-Known Member

    Son, before you go ridiculing others, stating that their questions are dumb, you need to think of the context in which the question is being asked. I am asking if they are organic as in how they were created... If they were somehow chemically forced to grow that way during breeding. The same principle applies to organic seeds, though that is nutrient/fertilizer based. Think next time. I may not have been clear enough, but my question was certainly not dumb.
  6.  
    Zardokk

    Zardokk Well-Known Member

    I'm pretty sure they were just created through selective breeding of small, quick-flowering plants. But I really dunno, I'm fairly damn baked.
  7.  
    Shredder111

    Shredder111 Well-Known Member

    Bumpity bump bump....:eyesmoke:
  8.  
    SenorSanteria

    SenorSanteria Well-Known Member

    There are three generally accepted types of Marijuana. Indica, Sativa, and Ruderalis. Ruderalis you dont hear much about because it doesnt get you high. But cross breeding a ruderalis (which carry the autoflowering trait) with an indica or sativa will produce a potent, autoflowering hybrid.
  9.  
    GreenphoeniX

    GreenphoeniX Well-Known Member

    Well, firstly organic does not refer to the plant, it refers to the grow medium, nutrients and such. They're either organic or synthetic.

    Anyway, auto-flowering strains were breed using genetics from Cannabis sative 'ruderalis Janisch.' (a sub-species of Cannabis, just like sativa and indica are Cannabis sativa 'sativa' and Cannabis sativa 'indica', respectively).
    Ruderalis doesn't flower according to photoperiod like sativa/indica hybrids, it instead flowers according to age, i.e when it is sexually mature it will flower no matter what the photoperiod is.

    For help with new words etc. Check out my glossary thread: http://www.rollitup.org/general-marijuana-growing/98008-glossary-terms.html

    I'll check back soon and try answer other questions you have, I'm in a rush at the mo, got things to do.

    Cheers mate.
  10.  
    GreenphoeniX

    GreenphoeniX Well-Known Member

    Some other replies :D

    There are no dumb questions, some annoying ones, but no dumb ones.
    Simply asking about something you're curious about so you will know the answer, and thus be more knowledgeable, is not dumb.

    It doesn't matter if a plant is grown organically or synthetically in the case of genetics and heritage, organics and synthetics is all in the grow medium and fert, it does not carry through with the plants genetics, a synthetically grown plants seeds, grown in an organic medium using organic ferts, will still be organic.

    Plants and seeds can be sprayed with products to encourage them to become 'dwarfed' and that sort of thing, that's true, and I'm guessing that is what you're referring to. But to answer you're question; no they're not sprayed with any chemicals or hormone treatments to get the auto-flowering trait.

    The auto-flowering trait is gained from selectively breeding Cannabis sativa 'sativa' or 'indica' with Cannabis sativa 'ruderalis J.' The ruderalis contains the auto-flowering trait, and this trait me be dominant in the plants offspring (seeds), and once the trait has been stabilized in the strain, it will show up in the offspring 99% of the time, the remaining 1% being any random 'retard' or 'mutant' that does not inherit the trait or causes it to become recessive.

    That's the bare essentials of it, hope I didn't miss too much out.

    Simply put, that is wrong. I don't mean that in an offensive way, it's simply not the right answer :D

    Cheers.

Share This Page