1. We are currently experiencing issues with viewing and uploading images, our team is working on the issue.
    Dismiss Notice

Fact Check: Seeds from a self-pollinating hermie are always females?

Discussion in 'Breeders Paradise' started by Humanrob, Feb 11, 2017.

  1.  
    Dr. Who

    Dr. Who Well-Known Member

    No need to get offended.

    Qwiz is OK, You need a tougher skin around here.....
     
  2.  
    Dr. Who

    Dr. Who Well-Known Member

    Clear the minds of the fearful and supply news they can use..

    Mourning Qwiz.
     
  3.  
    MichiganMedGrower

    MichiganMedGrower Well-Known Member

    Well I wasn't that offended. Just enough to comment.

    You should read your own responses when you get put off :-)
     
    chemphlegm likes this.
  4.  
    MichiganMedGrower

    MichiganMedGrower Well-Known Member

    Mine are hybrids but the source of the ECSD and Lemon Thai were original. Motarebel.

    And like I said no more stress no more stamen and almost no seeds shown ever.

    And I never give plants any more than they need. I feel from much experimentation the closer you come to never over or underfeeding plants the better they grow and reach their potential.
     
    chemphlegm likes this.
  5.  
    Dr. Who

    Dr. Who Well-Known Member


    Oh, I don't know......Pushing can make some things right nicer.....It's all about what, when and how much! I push more then not..

    stupid non working pics!
     
  6.  
    Dr. Who

    Dr. Who Well-Known Member

    Yeah, I was thinking about that too......I have my days.....sometimes I find it nice that someone comments on that.....
    Just being nice!
     
    MichiganMedGrower likes this.
  7.  
    chemphlegm

    chemphlegm Well-Known Member

    bunch of pot pricks I say, the whole lot of us>:(
     
  8.  
    MichiganMedGrower

    MichiganMedGrower Well-Known Member


    Pot snobs too ;-)
     
    chemphlegm and a senile fungus like this.
  9.  
    a senile fungus

    a senile fungus Well-Known Member

    Speak for yourselves, pricks! I am a connoisseur of cannabis :hump:
     
  10.  
    MichiganMedGrower

    MichiganMedGrower Well-Known Member

    Me too. I was calling myself a weed snob. :-)
     
  11.  
    neef

    neef Well-Known Member

    So just to confirm for my own stupidity. If I have two females (female 1, female 2) and I stress female 1 into producing a male flower. I then can take pollen from female 1 flower and pollinate female 2's flower which a 100% female offspring rate?
     
    chemphlegm likes this.
  12.  
    JDMase

    JDMase Well-Known Member

    I think that's the "soma" way, if you mean by stress, letting the plant flower longer than you should and jt throws out nanners and you use that pollen. I think that would increase hereditary hermaphroditism. The better way would to use CS to get your "female" pollen. And then you would be getting your 100% female/feminized seeds
     
    chemphlegm likes this.
  13.  
    chemphlegm

    chemphlegm Well-Known Member

    if you stress a female to the point of producing nanners, the resultant pollen will likely result in more nanner throwing girls.

    if you allow a healthy female to go past its finish she will in a last ditch effort produce small yellow fingers in bud that will contain pollen inside, this pollen when used to fertilize another healthy female or the same one even, has always resulted in healthy female producing seeds for me since 2008.
     
    neef, JDMase and MichiganMedGrower like this.
  14.  
    MichiganMedGrower

    MichiganMedGrower Well-Known Member

    The stress nanners you speak of will also be 99% or more female as they are self pollinated. And if the stress that caused them is removed and the same pheno as before happens to come up then it still should not reverse without the stress that caused it.

    I have had this happen as I have stated before and I plant the "stress"seeds from my first year often. Always have been good female plants. And sometimes a very similar Phenotype.
     
    JDMase, chemphlegm and cindysid like this.
  15.  
    chemphlegm

    chemphlegm Well-Known Member

    well, if lights alone could determine sex as stated earlier, wonder why producers dont shine it on their seeds first?
    and why does greenhouse computer analyze seeds in order to determine sex, instead of shining a light and calling fem?

    how does a light shined a seed schuck become capable of changing age old set chromosomes in dna I wonder too. its a brave new world we live in.
    does anyone buy up reg seeds, shine some light, and resell these as illuminated fems?

    this "
    Sex is an inherited trait in Cannabis, and can be explained in much the same terms as human sexuality can. Like a human being, Cannabis is a diploid organism: its chromosomes come in pairs. Chromosomes are microscopic structures within the cells on which the genes are aligned. Cannabis has 10 pairs of chromosomes (n=10), for a total of 20 chromosomes (2m=20).




    One pair of chromosomes carries the primary genes that determine sex. These chromosomes are labelled either X or Y. Male plants have an XY pair of sex chromosomes. Females have XX. Each parent contribute one set of 10 chromosomes, which includes one sex chromosome, to the embryo. The sex chromosome carried by the female ovule can only be X. The one carried by pollen of the male plant may be either X or Y. From the pollen, the embryo has a 50/50 chance of receiving an X, likewise for Y; hance, male and female progeny appear in equal numbers (in humans, the sperm carries either an X or a Y chromosome.)"
     
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    SouthCross likes this.
  16.  
    sparkygeek

    sparkygeek Active Member

    During one of my early grows (summer) I accidently subjected a high CBD feminized plant to significant stress... I never noticed any bananas until I cut it but there were a lot of seeds. I've popped about ten seeds so far and all seem identical to the original mother... I even grew three in one crop and they looked and smelled identically. I'm pretty sure they are clones in seed form... but I'm also sure their genetics are prone to producing male flowers under very low stress. They are great for growing out because of their uniqueness but I can see why you wouldn't breed with the genetics Dr. Who... Kudos!
     
    MichiganMedGrower likes this.
  17.  
    MichiganMedGrower

    MichiganMedGrower Well-Known Member

    I get similar phenos too from self seeds. But not always.......

    Still possible variety of phenotypes from the mothers genetics.
     
    chemphlegm likes this.
  18.  
    darkzero

    darkzero Well-Known Member


    I've had the very same results with stress seed mine came from an f1 cross made few yrs ago that selfed wwxbb that I crossed with wwxunknown skunk. The resulting S1 seeds were identical in smell, stack, size. The only difference I did notice was potency and taste was significantly better and more kushy. The seeds didn't throw naners until 2 days before harvest which was exactly 11 3/4 weeks. Other than that nothing.

    IMAG0712.jpg
     
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    chemphlegm and MichiganMedGrower like this.
  19.  
    sparkygeek

    sparkygeek Active Member

    I was a little surprised at what I saw and smelled... I haven't taken the added step of having each plant tested to make sure they have similar THC/CBD ratios so I don't know enough... Does anyone know what the odds are of getting a different pheno from a feminized seed? I see the 99% female estimate on feminized seeds so I'm guessing the odds of getting an unusual pheno might be similar to getting a male plant from a feminized seed (<1%)? Any experts?
     
    MichiganMedGrower likes this.
  20.  
    chemphlegm

    chemphlegm Well-Known Member


    nom nom nom:weed:
     

Share This Page