Yo help a newbie out
This is my first attemot at a grow, saw some threads from people who made Pc boxes and I thought it was very cool. Bought a case, gutted it...I have approx 4500 lumens of sylvania CFL's, am using miracle grow potting soil, 2 PC fans re-wired for outlet use. Currently have them on 24/0. It seems like its going to be pretty straight forward, but I need some professional opinions on some things.....
1. LST.....where do I begin? I've seen some pretty rad pictures of what I thought to be 3 or 4 plants that turned out to be 1 that was bent and trimmed. I know I have 5 but im not anticipating them all to be fem.
2. When to switch to 12/12 to flower
3. what to get for odor
4. What is that little guy still doing with the shell on his head? and why does one have an extra cotyledon and leaf
any other tips/ tricks/ knowledge would be GREATLY appreciated....but mostly just questions about lst.....THABNKS!!!
Yo help a newbie out
Hey man, looks like youve made a decent start.
First of all, mount the bulbs horizontally off the wall of the case rather than vertically, it gives you a little more height to grow and better light dispertion. Miracle grow soil isnt ideal because it contains time release nutrients which can mess up your feeding schedule, make sure you take a 'less is more' approach when feeding as over feeding/nute burn will reduce your yield.
1. LST is very simple, you just have to bend the plant and tie it down. Easiest way is to get a length of string, place it above a node(point on stem where a pair of branches/leaves come out) pull the plant gently down and secure the string to the pot by tieing it or just tape it. You should use this technique first on the base of the stem to kind of anchor it, this helps the base of the plant in the soil. There is a good guide on RIU but im on my phone and cant find it easily, just search for lst guide. Also dont start untill you get at least 3 sets of adult leaves.
2. Id switch after a week or so to start flowering asap, otherwise your going to run out of space. Also you will be able to sex them sooner.
3. Get a block of ona gel and put it near the exhast fan.
4. Birth defects are pretty common, dont worry about it snd just let it grow. You can very carefully remove the seed casing if you wish but it will come off by itself eventually.
Hope this helps and good luck!
Last edited by MorroN; 09-05-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Hey nice start check mine out im a little ahead than you :P
yeah your on your way bro. ive built 3 pcs now and now i have a server tower. 24"X22"X8".
I grew a full harvest and got more then 3/4th an O cause of lst!
But The main setback for compoopers are they have crazy amounts of light leaks and light leaks will turn your chick into a dude.
so try to seal as much as you possibly can
http://www.rollitup.org/cfl-growing/447854-stealth-suitcase-autoflower-grow-pineapple.html#post5969912[/URL] Smokin' Good
And when you said switch to 12/12 in a week or so did that mean a week from tying down the third node for LST or a week from right now?
Last edited by Psilobloom; 09-05-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Also, I looked in on them and it seems as though they are encountering stress, leaves arent as rigid and seems to be wilty....I was afraid I may have overwatered, or that my drainage holes arent sufficient...I also thought it may have been because the light was on 24/0, I changed it to 18/6 and hopefully that will work but heres a pic: (closeup of the retard to show the stress I was talking about) I put the three strongest ones in these containers to prep for LST...Have I made any crucial mistakes yet?
Yo man! Good start to the pc grow! What matt 4200 is saying about light leak is that it allows light in in your dark period, light in in you dark period will cause your plant to go hermie on you so its important to cover up any areas where you see light getting in from the outside. Just close the case completely and put it in a very dark area and cover up the areas where you can see the light coming out from. Note that this may play a roll in your temp but not to massive. So no, unless you have heat issues do not remove the side cover at night if you have lights on around the case, if you have to, during lights on period.
It is still pretty early for lst though..wait atleast till 3, 4, 5 nodes before you lst, do it prefferably before flowering though, that's kinda the point of it but it won't kill them if you do it a little early. Looks like you transplanted, that can cause stress so maybe that was the problem
24/0 light cycle is perfect, no different from 18/6 really, 18/6 is fine, but do you have a thermometer in there? Make sure your guys are living in temps between like 20'C-30'C, below 30 around 25 if possible and also when they get a little older you can move those cfl's closer, like 5cm away, even closer, not saying that's your prob coz that's not burning that turning them yellow..you will need some other advice for that but its still early man, give them time to surprize you. I was going to pull my girl in my signature when she was just a little seedling coz she was smaller than the rest and yellow and looked like she will die soon, but now she is my main girl, only 1 I have left actually. Hope that helps a little, these guys pretty much answered most of the questions
Last edited by indoormania; 09-05-2012 at 04:47 PM.
400watt cfl cab grow! - http://www.rollitup.org/cfl-fluoresc...-cab-grow.html -- 200watt cfl grow! - http://www.rollitup.org/grow-journal...under-cfl.html