Seed and Strain Reviews
what's your prefered germanation method ? in the
The Grow Room forums; god....I must be bored today! LOL
Personally, I like to germ in a wet paper towel. I have tried all ...
god....I must be bored today! LOL
Personally, I like to germ in a wet paper towel. I have tried all methods and this one has always given me the best success. 100%
Some people on here will flame you for that and say just pop it in the dirt, it's natures way, blah, blah, blah, bollox!. But whatever! I go for what works best for me, simple as that.
So my advice to you is the same. Read up on the differrent methods and mediums, try them out and see what works best.
I also like to pot up, start small, get bigger. I believe it gets you a better overall root mass in the long run. But again, some people don't think like that and will disagree. To each their own! You need to find your own path my friend.
beleive it or not ive had a 100 percent success rate with my method. i take a very small wad of toilet paper and loosely roll the seed up in it. i plant it and water it. the toilet paper keeps the seed moist for days and within 3 to 4 days i have seedlings.
I've got a near 100% success rate with this method, the only seed I ever lost was one I planted upside down and the root died before I turned it dimpled side up.
I like it because it's simple (1 step), fast, safe, and I don't have to handle the sprouts. I usually get sprouting 2-3 days, the shortest around 30 hours and the longest 3.5 days.
Plastic cup (16-20oz)
Pro Mix (non fertilized soil less)
Magnifying glass (or good eyes)
Bic pen refill
Saran Wrap (crinkled)
Sharp poking tool (knife, scissors)
1. Mix Pro Mix normally - enough distilled water so it holds together when squeezed in one hand but not to drip water.
2. Poke holes in bottom of cup. Fill cups with Pro Mix, put hand over top and shake up and down to get rid of air holes. Pat the top of the pro mix in cup down gently. Fill to 1" below the cup top - room for the sprout to grow if it comes up when you're not around; and to put in more Pro Mix if the stem stretches. Label each cup with masking tape before putting the seed in. I use different colored cups for different strains as well.
3. With the writing tip of the pen poke a hole in the center of the pro mix, about 1/8". Not deep, just a starter hole. The seed will do the rest of the work.
4. Using good eyes or the magnifying glass find the scalloped (opens) and dimpled (hing) sides of the seed. Poke the scalloped end into the pro mix - I find it easiest to put the seed between the thumb and index finger and gently squeeze it in. Don't push far, just until it stays upright.
5. Recheck the seed to be sure the dimple side is up.
6. Using the open tube end of the pen refill push the dimpled end of the seed down until it is 1/16-1/8" below the surface. Using the pen refill skuff up the pro mix until 1/8" is over the seed dimple. Loose and airy is good.
7. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of distilled water over the top of the pro mix. Do NOT uncover the seed.
8. Rip off a piece of crinkled Saran wrap, tear it's length in two so you have a square, and wrap over the top of cup making a complete seal.
9. Place the cup minimum flower distance from your light in your flower room. The heat from the light will act like a steamer with the distilled water and the seed; the (12 on/12 off) cycle of the light will mimic nature; the crinkled Saran wrap will keep the moisture and heat in and diffuse the light.
10. After the first day pull back the Saran Wrap a couple of times a day to look for sprouting.
Last edited by Hobbes; 09-22-2009 at 08:04 PM.
pukka info chaps. thanks for your time.
I just drop mine in a solo cup of sink water with a baggie ova tha top out of 10 I'd germ 7-8 out of five 4 germ I tried paper towel, plate, heating them works to but less germ%, so tha cup of water works good ( 4 me ) peace
i grow with dro bro
By newgrowerguys in forum Newbie Central
Last Post: 07-01-2013, 04:30 PM
By patchwayraver in forum General Marijuana Growing
Last Post: 11-03-2012, 05:11 PM
By Traxxe in forum General Marijuana Growing
Last Post: 09-18-2009, 08:50 AM
By Rafiky77 in forum Newbie Central
Last Post: 06-28-2007, 01:25 AM
By MJismyfriend in forum Outdoor Growing
Last Post: 01-21-2007, 03:24 AM
Tags for this Thread