What is a Hydroponic System?
A hydroponic system is a system that provides nutrients and water to your plants without the use of soil. The basic requirements of a hydroponic system are:
- A tank to hold the water/nutrient solution
- A way to distribute this solution to your plants
- Something to give your plants stability/foundation (since soil won’t be present)
- An air stone and pump; my system requires one, but not all hydro systems need one
Why I chose a Hydro Setup over soil
I know there’s a lot of controversy of what’s better, hydro or soil. I don’t want to really chime into that debate, but I can say the 2 main reasons I made this choice are:
- Easier to clean – I didn’t want to deal with soil really, spilled water’s so much easier to clean
- Faster growth – From my research and what I’ve read from various grower testimonials, hydro systems can bring a plant to fully mature as much as 4-6 weeks before a soil grow. I have no basis of comparison, but I will just say a grow for me lasts usually 12-14 weeks (3 months or so)
What Hydro System do I use?
The particular setup I use is called Bubbleponics by Stealth Hydroponics. I chose this system because it is fairly cheap ($100), and it’s very straightforward. I know that when I was first beginning to learn how to grow, I just wanted to dive in and get started.
I didn’t want to custom build a system because frankly, I had no idea what I was doing. I just wanted a system I knew was capable of results and that I could get some good experience on. I have been using this hydro setup for just a little over 2 years now and have only had to replace 1 of the original devices I got with it, 1 air stone.
Needless to say, it has been a real champ for me and I’ve gotten close to 25oz of marijuana out of this system in 5 grows with each grow yield getting bigger than the last. It’s definitely a reliable effective system.
Go to THC Digest for more information on Hydroponic Systems.