can chlorine kill seeds or plants? in the
The Grow Room forums; chlorine does not hurt pants at all, it is good for them... essential in fact for their survival:
Chloride. These ...
chlorine does not hurt pants at all, it is good for them... essential in fact for their survival:
Chloride. These leaves (see Figure 10) have abnormal shapes, with distinct interveinal chlorosis. Plants require relatively high chlorine concentration in their tissues. Chlorine is very abundant in soils, and reaches high concentrations in saline areas, but it can be deficient in highly leached inland areas. The most common symptoms of chlorine deficiency are chlorosis and wilting of the young leaves. The chlorosis occurs on smooth flat depressions in the interveinal area of the leaf blade. In more advanced cases there often appears a characteristic bronzing on the upper side of the mature leaves.
if they want to live they will pop
chlorine also doesn't do a very good job of killing bacteria.
That's why millions of kids die every year from diseases caused by bacteria in our water supply. Usually our stomach acids are enough to kill the bacteria, but some forms of bacteria can mutate, even turn virulent.
i dont care when I am taking clones and wet the soil in the cups I use with tap water but beyond that I always let it sit out, I use 12 gallon kitchen trash cans as my nute resoviors with air stones, since you will need a large container for nutes if you have not already learned, you are already leaving it out overnight if not for a couple of days until its all used up. Its a pain in the ass to be mixing small gallon jugs with fertilizer and you will end up with every gallon being different as you mix them up. Just get the large container that holds at least 10 gallons of water and use air stone so its not sitting idle and stays nice and aerated. It does matter as several folks have mentioned it KILLS beneficial microbes in your soil so basically if your using organics your wasting your money on the organic food your buying. Just let the water sit out overnight and dont get into bad habits. Sure its not bad for the plant but its fucking the soil up which in turn is bad for the plant especially with organics where your goal is to pamper and feed the soil and plant will follow its the soil your caring for.
Originally Posted by jfa916
Dont Drink and Park, Accidents Cause People
and remember; friends don't let friends drive naked
Because youre only boiling off the water the dissolved solids get left behind. To remove solids you would need to make a still. A kitchen tea kettle, rubber stopper, and 3-4' length of copper pipe coiled through a bucket of cool water will do the trick just fine. When you're not making water you can mix up some mash and make whiskey.
Originally Posted by Bigby
Electors, do not be deceived! If you do not understand the bill, Vote NO. Current rule under the Federation will deprive you of your Rights and Job. Therefore, Vote NO.
maybe you missed this bit from my quote:
Plants need it, without chlorine they will die.
Chlorine is very abundant in soils,
I let my water sit out purely for pH stability purposes. When water comes from the tap it will be cold, very cold. Cold water has a higher pH than the same water warmed up. This is why a lot of hydro growers get problems with fluctuating pH. allowing the water to get to the temperature it will be once it is in the res is the best way to keep pH in check. Water has an alkalinity value and this will actually buffer the pH back up.
Some guys will pour straight from the tap add the nutes, measure it and go... this will always lead to raising pH in the res.
Chlorine is pretty crap at killing bacteria, but it's safe for humans. Lots of the bacteria still remains in water with chlorine, but the bacteria is considered to be safe for humans, our stomach acids kill it. However chlorine is absolutely useless at killing the real nasty bacteria like e.coli. e.coli also likes to mutate, piss it off and it mutates. last year it killed 2 million children in the US alone... and things are getting worse.
this is why the US government has suddenly started thinking green... it is believed artificial fertilzation and the destruction of the micro life in farmlands is what has led to e.coli so readily mutating into a killer virus.
anyway, off subject... a little.
I do chemistry and my teacher it isn't good boiling water and drinking. I say that goes for plants too and when boiling it only kills some bacteria. Boiling water doesn't make it distilled water. Distilled water is the steam of boiling water it is a gas coming out until you capture it in a container letting the steam cool down into a liquid form making distilled water. Best way to make water is to get a chemistry beaker with a stopper on top with a pipe running through it. Boiling the beaker the stem will escape through the pipe into another beaker/container.
I feed my soil plant with distilled water all the time. It says it is chlorine free too. My plant is kinda a DWC too as the plant is in a soil Pot that is in a container where the container has a water and roots.
Best way to feed plants with tap water is too get a bucket filled with tap water. Leave it outside for a day and ta - da most of the chloride has been evaporate, leaving a few cl molecules for the plant.
I get that the Chlorine in small amounts is beneficial and maybe even essential, though just about everybody on here that has an RO system can attest to the fact that it's not. His levels were higher than usual according to the first post. I think it is absolutely necessary for him to do something to get this under control or the plants will not be happy. Different areas, different water. I have seen chlorine burn more than once, so don't tell me chlorine isn't bad for your plants. No different than over-nuting them.
Originally Posted by skunkushybrid01
Also, the U.S. government is thinking anything but protecting us. Read up a little bit on GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms). Tested on rats, caused tumors, cancer, etc., yet it's still in 90% of the food we buy at grocery stores. They didn't test on humans before approving it to the masses. We are the governments large-scale test dummies. Way off-subject, but I feel peeps should learn about it.
"There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, and science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works." -Stephen Hawking
Plants don't get over nuted, the medium does... this causes under nutrition of the plant. The nutrient uptake process is an active one only so even if there is too much chlorine in the medium it will not get taken up by the plant. High salinity leads to locked out nutrients (usually K first), making those ions harder for the plant to find (doesn't mean it won't find them), if the salinity of the medium reaches a certain point then the osmotic pressure is reversed and the plant cells release water, the plant wilting and dying.
Originally Posted by mouthmeetsoap
We are also not test subjects... there is a world food crisis, too many people to feed, not enough farmland to do it on. although i have not read on genetically modified organisms yet. Are there any specific GMO's i should be aware of?
By tittikaka27 in forum Newbie Central
Last Post: 11-03-2010, 07:18 AM
By MeJuana in forum Hydroponics / Aeroponics
Last Post: 06-14-2010, 03:26 PM
By 420Chef in forum Hydroponics / Aeroponics
Last Post: 05-10-2009, 04:38 PM
By BlazaBlaze in forum Newbie Central
Last Post: 03-07-2009, 01:18 AM
By Hydrochronic in forum General Marijuana Growing
Last Post: 09-28-2008, 02:05 AM