LED and other Lighting
The Chronikool of the Big Bang and the Circus of light™ in the
Indoor Growing forums; This is my theory put to test. I have long wanted to try using just household LED's on a grow, ...
The Chronikool of the Big Bang and the Circus of light™
This is my theory put to test. I have long wanted to try using just household LED's on a grow, and see if i can get a decent harvest with these. I thought that someone else would have journaled a similar idea to this, but i cant seem to find much. So this is just a experiment
- This is my second indoor grow, and 1st with LED's.
- Thanks for all the information to the RIU community.
Reasons for this grow are as follows:
- I wanted to try out different types of house LED's
- Demonstrate that you dont need a branded panel or specialized grow light. Good for people on a budget.
- Pull off a grow of 2 females using up to 150w of power.
- Illustrate the fact that you dont need other types of supplemental lighting such as CFL etc...
- The ability to add and take away different lights (i just like fucking around with my 'circus of lights')
- Make it more assessable and affordable for people to get into a LED grow with limited electrical know how.
- Show that light doesnt need to be coming from just on top or sides of the canopy (praise the LED gods!)
- I wanted to look at my photos and not see a pink hue in sight! (i just like green better!)
- And finally... I wanted to grow something
- 2 x Feminized Greenhouse seeds: 'Big Bang'
- Seedlings: Peat jiffy7 pellets
- Plants: Premium potting mix in 18L black pots.
Ummmm....a computer fan, hung above the lights.
Ok, so it isnt the greatest looking grow room, and im not advocating this at all really. This is a winter grow, so i need what little heat my LED's make inside.
- 1 x Closet (90cm x 60cm x 180cm) with handy 'light bar' (clothes bar)
- 4 x emergency blankets
Anywayz....enough about my ongoing issues with the invisible purple monster outside my window... ON WITH THE BIG BANG...!
27th April – Planted 2 x ‘Big Bang’ in Pellets. (24/0 light schedule)
30th April – Both Sprouted. (24/0 light schedule)
1st May – Placed under 2 x 7w 6000-6500k and 2 x 3.6w 6000-6500k in makeshift setup. (24/0 light schedule)
2nd May – Day 2 from sprout – Just about to flick off their seeds. All ok at the moment. (24/0 light schedule)
2 day old seedlings 2.5.12.jpg
7rd May – Day 7 from sprout – Started a bit of growth now. Came up with the idea to wire up 4 x 7w downlights (3 x 6000-6500k and 1 x 3000-3500k) So have additional 28w (total 49.2w) Plant in pots in a week. (24/0 light schedule)
Makeshift grow room
7 day old seedlings 2 7.5.12.jpg7 day old seedlings 3 7.5.12.jpg7 day old seedlings 4 7.5.12.jpg7 day old seedlings 5 7.5.12.jpg7 day old seedlings 7.5.12.jpg
Makeshift light setup
7 day light set up 7.5.12.jpg7 day light setup 2 7.5.12.jpg
9th May – Day 9 from sprout – Second set of leaves coming through, Nodes look very close together. Moved lights a little higher up. (24/0 light schedule)
10th May – Day 10 from sprout – Decided to setup my grow room. Added computer fan. Added first of worm tea. (1:100) (24/0 light schedule)
· Planted A + B into 18L Pots, ‘A’ was looking a parched.
A10 day 2.jpg
B10 day 3.jpg
14th May – Day 14 from sprout – New 10w floodlights (6000-6500k) arrived so added them close to the plants. (24/0 light schedule)
14 day 1.jpg14 day 2.jpg
18th May – Day 18 from sprout – (51.8w used) Fan leaves of ‘B’ are dying. No idea why. Just using water now. (24/0 light schedule)
17 day 2.jpg
See the deficiency on the base of the fan leaves
28th May – Day 28 from sprout – (68.4w used) Calcium/Magnesium deficiency, so have watered the last few times with garden lime. Also spread lime on the surface of the soil. Hope that helps. They are both looking like crap. LST’ed today for the first time. (24/0 light schedule)
28 day 2.jpg28 day.jpg
1st June – Day 32 from sprout – (68.4w used) Seem to be getting on top of the dying leaves, and it has stopped spreading. Will change light schedule on Monday night (Friday today) Sprinkled some root blast on the soil and watered with lime again. (24/0 light schedule)
32 day 2.jpg32 day.jpg32 day 3.jpg
7th June – Day 37 from sprout – (68.4w used) Bit more LST’ing. Changed light schedule for 2 weeks. (Till day 51) Continued watering with worm rum. (18/6 light schedule)
Beam me up.....
42 day 3.jpg42 day 2.jpg
19th June – Day 50 from sprout – (107.5w used) Switched to flowering. Hopefully 70 days. Timer was being funny and I think it was on all night. (12/12 light schedule)
- Changed Lights: 5 x 7w Downlights (3000-3500k)
4 x 7w E27 (3000-3500k)
2 x 10w Floodlights (6000-6500k)
1 x 30w Floodlight (6000-6500k)
Flowering day 1 3.jpgFlowering day 1 2.jpgFlowering day 1.jpg
A look at the grow room setup
Flowering day 2.jpg
25th June – Day 6 of flowering – (107.5w used) Noticed a hell stretch in the plants. Might have veged for too long I think. LST’ed more to try and keep them under control.
Flowering day 6 2.jpg
The Martians are landing…
Flowering day 6.jpg
So yeah, from now on I got lazy and it was pretty much smooth sailing. A bit more tying down and crud. Moving of lights up…rah rah…
Flowering day 14
Flowering day 14 2.jpgFlowering day 14 3.jpgFlowering day 14 4.jpgFlowering day 14.jpg
Flowering day 21
Flowering day 21 2.jpgFlowering day 21 8.jpgFlowering day 21 7.jpgFlowering day 21 6.jpgFlowering day 21 5.jpgFlowering day 21 4.jpgFlowering day 21 3.jpgFlowering day 21.jpg
Flowering day 34
Flowering day 34.jpgFlowering day 34 5.jpgFlowering day 34 4.jpgFlowering day 34 2.jpgFlowering day 34 3.jpg
Flowering day 45
Flowering day 45.jpgFlowering day 45 3.jpgFlowering day 45 2.jpg
Pretty lack-luster nutrients. Still ironing out how to manage the LED grow.
- All through veg cycle. And up to day 30 in flower, added worm tea.
Nutrient Mix: (Nutrient mix for flowering days 30-60)
MBL (20ml per litre) and Mycorrcin plus (1ml per litre) Budzilla (10ml per litre) Worm tea (10ml per litre) mixed in 1000ml bottle.
Mix ¼ teaspoon blackstrap molasses dissolved in 500ml of boiling water. Add another 500ml of water to make 1000ml.
Makes 2 litres of nutrient mix (add molasses mix 1st and separately)
So here we are on day 54 of flowering, and im thinking another 16 days minimum (total of a 120 day grow) 20-30% of the trichomes are cloudy.
Flowering day 53 4.jpgFlowering day 53 3.jpgFlowering day 53.jpgFlowering day 53 2.jpg
There are a few things I want to do differently on my next grow:
- Namely the ‘mainlining’ technique (thanks to ‘Hyroot’ via ‘Nugbuckets’ for this!) as I didn’t do any topping and I think I am paying for it now with not many bud sites on both on my plants.
- Different light setup. Had a budget for this grow that I wanted to stick too, would have added more lights to it.
- Probably try the Greenhouse seeds ‘Moby Dick’ strain or a Royal Queen seeds strain, as I cant find much on their grows.
- Organic potting mix with a few extras added.
- Use lime in the mix of my soil.
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks for looking. May update the end if anyone cares…
Last edited by Chronikool; 08-12-2012 at 12:03 AM.
^^^^^^Hmmmm someone's been holding out on us....ha............Nice job Chroni.......yeah everytime I walk through HD's lighting dept I stare at those philips led flood lights 19w 3000k and 2000 lumens(with lumiled diodes!) and wonder how they would grow
well I'm subbed and keep us updated cranky:P
So will harvest on the 7th of September as i am moving house on the 8th....80 days of flowering....bit slow under makeshift grow lights.... Start flushing on the 28th...
Pic update???????????????????????????????????????????? ???????? would be nice..........good luck on your move
Hell yeah Chronik, ya can't tease us like that. One big post of photos and then nothing!
C'mon man, we need our fix!
Lol. Nice, Chronik. Loving all the pistils in photo #6... So another 17 days and your chopping... Have you scoped yet or has the chop been set in stone and it doesn't matter?
Tags for this Thread