Harvesting And Curing
How to treat a moldy bud? in the
The Grow Room forums; I just found this link... http://dope.org/drugs/marijuana/misc/moldy.weed
The author cites scientific studies, not hearsay, and says many of the molds are ...
I just found this link...http://dope.org/drugs/marijuana/misc/moldy.weed
The author cites scientific studies, not hearsay, and says many of the molds are deadly. Read the entire article. It's worthwhile.
"Immunosuppressed individuals and asthmatics should never be exposed to molds,
especially _Aspergillus._ People using medical marijuana should take extra
Ungerlerder et al. sterilized marijuana with ethylene oxide, reporting no loss
of THC from fumigation. These researchers also irradiated their dope with
high-dose Cobalt 60 (15,000 to 20,000 Gray Units!) with no loss of THC. _This
method is not recommended for novices._
Moody et al. evaluated waterpipes for smoking _Aspergillus_-contaminated
marijuana. Unfortunately, they found only a 15% reduction in transmission of
In Chicago, goofy dudes spray their marijuana with formaldehyde. This kills
insects and fungi, but at a price. The treated weed, known as AMP, causes
anoxia and psychomotor retardation when smoked (Spector). According to
_Newsweek_ (Jan. 20, 1986), a few ill-intentioned dealers dipped marijuana in
rat poison or insecticides like Black Flag or Raid. They called this product
"WAC." Indeed. Have a nice day."
Originally Posted by Jerry Garcia
The link is broken.
Originally Posted by Jerry Garcia
I tossed away the moldy part - of course.
The rest I keep away, drying out after being toasted in the oven.
They will be tested before curing. If its bad - it will become screen hash. If its good - it will be jarred.
I do not intend to "cure" the moldy parts - they are in the trash can already.
Just tying to salvage whatever possible from the rest.
It was a huge bud. ;<
Sorry, here's the proper link
The point I was trying to make is that the rest of the infected bud isn't good either. It's already been contaminated. Just because you can't see the mold doesn't mean it isn't there. There are likely spores throughout the bud, making it 1) taste bad and 2) potentially VERY bad for you.
Even if you make screen hash there will still be contaminated plant material that makes it into your final product which you smoke. This is why you have to make iso hash, not screen hash or bubble.
I have nothing to do with iso hash. Don't like it.
I'm reading the article. it suggests this;
The secret to stopping bacteria and mildew is moisture control. Even grey mold
dies if plants are carefully and quickly dried. Oven-cured pot rots less than
air or sweat-cured crops. Sweat-cured _Cannabis_ (remember '70's Colombian?)
maintains a "tradition" of _Aspergillus_ contamination.
The oven-drying method inevitably leads to a harsh product. So most people
air-dry by suspending plants upside down with enough space for circulation.
Drying rooms should be cool and dry, preferably in uninterrupted darkness.
(Most storage fungi require light to sporulate and spread.)
I'll get the buds in a dark bag. It pretty cold where they are (around 17°C) and theres a lot of air circulation. Moreover, most of the spores should have died already.
The rest of the bud will be treated when harvested.
Thanks for all this helpful info. I cut down 2 Hindu Kush gals, cut off the buds & colas(it was topped) & after almost 2 weeks of slow drying the buds were put into tupperware type containers. After 2 days(rotating each day) I noticed some gray mold growing. Threw 'em in a 200 degree(F) oven for about 10 minutes to kill mold....but mold didn't disappear. Is it inactive now or should I give it another 150 degree, 10 oven treatment? Any Ideas? Thanks
One time I didn't burp a jar for a while and some buds inside molded and I went bat-shit. Mold is sort of like mushrooms in that, if you see the outward visible signs then it has permeated through whatever medium. If you were to let the buds get very dry and then hand crumple, you'd see white mold spores "float" from the bud as its being crumpled.
Here's what I did, and at the very least it got rid of the moldy taste.
- Sprayed down the nugs (all 3-4 of em) with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. I read some shit in an undergrad microbio txt book about these 2 things possibly killing mold and damaging spores, so I took a shot.
- Then baked the buds to drive off the vinegar + h2o2 and man did that smell funky.
- Water cured the buds for an additional 7-10 days. This was to get any nasty taste out and perhaps wash out mold spores.
I smoked 'em. They didn't taste like mold and I didn't get sick. Other than that, I have no proof my process worked. Most people think that iso hash is the best way to go, and I don't disagree with that as a good plan. I guess it depends on how adventurous you are, how much you'd like to make some hash oil, and how prone you are to sinus/respiratory infections.
edit - it takes a hell of a lot to kill a mold spore, hence the iso hash method of just extracting chemicals in the buds. What color was the mold? if it was just white and doesn't fluoresce under black light, you probably won't die...just get a sinus infection.
@ OP, what makes you think that you killed any spores?
Last edited by MrBaker; 02-15-2010 at 05:56 PM.
By kayuman in forum Marijuana Plant Problems
Last Post: 10-15-2012, 11:18 AM
By Illegal Smile in forum General Marijuana Growing
Last Post: 08-02-2012, 04:17 PM
By "SICC" in forum Breeders Paradise
Last Post: 09-29-2010, 10:04 AM
By bricktown73 in forum General Marijuana Growing
Last Post: 01-01-2010, 05:28 PM
By EmPot in forum General Marijuana Growing
Last Post: 12-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Tags for this Thread