PF tek: Cambodian Grow Report in the
The Grow Room forums; Cambodian Mushroom Grow
I am following this tek completely.
· Brown Rice Flour
PF tek: Cambodian Grow Report
Cambodian Mushroom Grow
I am following this tek completely.
· Brown Rice Flour
· ½ pint jars
· Distilled Water
Procedure (6 jars):
1. Vermiculite and Brown Rice Flour (BRF) are first put in the oven at 200 degrees for 20 min.
2. Next jars are cleaned and top ½ inch is rubbed down with an alcohol wipe.
3. Jars are gently filled with: 2/3 cup Vermiculite, ¼ cup BRF and ¼ Cup water.
4. The top ½ inch or ¾ is filled with dry Vermiculite to prevent airborne contaminants.
5. Half of the jars have the lids flipped with rubber side up and half of the jars are screwed on regularly. I am determining if this placement of the lid changes colonization time or not.
6. Jars are placed in a very low boiling bath for 45 min to steam and sterilize the contents of the jars. The jars are cooled to room temperature in this bath (7 hours later).
7. After jars are room temperature, jars are inoculated with about 1 cc of Cambodian spores.
8. Jars are fitted with coffee filter tops to prevent contamination but allow airflow.
9. Jars are placed in a dark closet with some indirect sunlight.
This is a first time shroom grow for me. It was a little nervous preparing these jars late at night with my parents sleeping upstairs. I could just imagine them coming down as I’m mixing BRF and Vermiculite into little ½ pint jars. Either way, I am feeling pretty confident for a first time operation. I have been as sterile as possible. Whenever I am handling the jars I typically wear latex gloves and I try to disinfect/clean anything that may come into contact with the substrate.
This is a first time project for me, and I am concerned that the cakes do not have enough water because they are very paste-like. Is this normal consistency for PF tek cakes?
Also, even though I am following this tek and it suggests 2/3 cup Vermiculite, ¼ cup BRF and ¼ water to fill a ½ pint jar, this substrate material was too much for one jar. I ended up having a decent amount left over. Should I be worried that the balance will be thrown off inside the jars?
I am following this setup almost exactly for my Semi-automated terrarium.
I will update in a few days (3-5) with pictures as the jars start to colonize.
I will also update with pictures of my Terrarium setup.
Please post comments, encouragements, criticisms and suggestions thanks!
Last edited by AchillesLast; 08-04-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Update: Day 3
Sorry no pics yet! I haven't had the heart to disturb my jars too much because there is no signs of growth yet. Which is normal at this stage, but I just want to do as little pestering as possible. Just leave these jars alone like teenagers and watch em produce.
However, I do have an update as to a weird smell that is coming out of one of the jars. When I get home from work tonight I will isolating this jar in a ziplock bag to prevent it from spreading a possible contamination.
I will be posting pictures tonight of my terrarium set up and grow area.
Uh-oh dude, get that smelly jar out of there!
I made the same mistake on my first time and said I'll wait until I get home from school to isolate the possibly contaminated jar.
BIG mistake... 9 jars gone between morning and afternoon
Isolate it ASAP and aside from puting it in a bag, move it to another location in whatever room it's in.
You really don't want contamination, dude.
Alright will do. I will definitely move it and isolate it as soon as possible. It isn't showing any visible signs of growth yet so I'm not too worried about it spreading at this stage. It just smells a little funky haha. I dont want to totally abandon the smelly jar yet for a couple reasons. Mainly, its my first time and I want to see what happens so I'll know for next time.
Yeah, thanks man for watching It will definitely help to get other people's insight in this project especially as the jars start colonizing and I get closer to the birthing stage. Keep an eye out on my thread as that stage gets closer, because Im sure I will have questions as problems/concerns become more apparent.
Day 5 since inocculation.
Still no signs of growth on any of the jars. However, some of the jars are starting to get a mushroom scent which is a good sign. I have removed the suspect jar from the incubator and have placed it in a ziplock bag. It is starting to get a powerful rancid smell. I am very certain it is contaiminated, but I would like to hold onto it to see what kind of contaiminate grows. I'm curious to see what I got instead of shrooms out of that jar for next time haha. I am very careful to keep it away from the other jars.
Here are a few pics of the jars. The only camera I have is this little shitty webcam so that's one reason I'm not taking more pics and another reason why the pics are such shitty quality.
The first one is a nice pic of all my jars sleeping. And the next pic is an upclose of one of the jars. All of the jars look like this one right now, no signs of growth.
The jars are being keep around 77-84 degrees in my closet.
Well I guess you can't edit really old posts, so here is a pic of my grow area I was going to include here earlier.
Originally Posted by AchillesLast
I am using an aquarium as a terrarium with a filtered air pump for FAE. I am planning on layering the bottom with perlite and then filling with water to increase humidity.
By bonghits4all in forum General Marijuana Growing
Last Post: 01-25-2009, 08:12 PM
By harleyd13 in forum General Marijuana Growing
Last Post: 07-14-2008, 08:03 PM
By Dragginherb in forum Newbie Central
Last Post: 11-06-2007, 11:33 PM
By KushMaster85 in forum Indoor Growing
Last Post: 09-23-2007, 12:29 PM
By crickitmd in forum Toke N Talk
Last Post: 06-23-2007, 02:58 AM
Tags for this Thread