Bubble hash: a tiny treatise, page 1
The starting point: 94 grams of bone-dry Indica bud.
camdump 12jun11 001.jpg
I placed this into my extra-speshul bubble bucket with some water and ice.
camdump 12jun11 002.jpg
I then beat the bejeezus out of it with a paint paddle chucked into my cordless Panasonic.
I would agitate for 3-5 minutes, then run the extract through four stacked bubble bags:
220µm (work bag, blue), 190µm (green), 73µm (goldenrod) and 25µm (pale blue).
I agitated seven or eight times before the yield in my 73 (main) bag petered down to almost nothing.
I found that I could beat the absolute poop out of the chilled soup in my churn and not have the veg. matter break down.
Some ended up in the tiny amount of 220 "take" but could easily be post-processed through a fine stainless-mesh tea strainer.
camdump 12jun11 003.jpg
So here is the cleaned, combined take from all three bags, labeled for your convenience.
I worked over the course of a day, storing the churn in my fridge in between drill sessions.
A valuable bit of equipment for transfer and washing the screens of the bags: a spray bottle, 1 quart, filled with iced water.
camdump 12jun11 004.jpgcamdump 12jun11 005.jpgcamdump 12jun11 006.jpgcamdump 12jun11 007.jpg
I took the green, wrung-out "curd" from the work bag and set it into the sun to dry. Today was hot, dry and cloudless, and the residue went bone-dry within three hours.
Note the weight loss upon drying! Some is of course in my glasses, but much must have ended up as solubles in the wash/work water. That stank by the way ... of a mix of weed, boiled greens and some sort of overripe fruit.
The drying curd smelled *just* like the poured-off waste from steamed broccoli. Ew.
camdump 12jun11b 001.jpg
I will post a follow-up showing the drained and dried bubble hash. I got a small amount of 190 retentate (filtrant), a nice whack of 73 and a reasonable amount of 25 (after a few cycles of suspension and settling to remove turbidity). The 25 is pale beige, while the coarser fractions are toasty-brown.