First Attempt at Cloning
by, 03-24-2012 at 11:03 AM (318 Views)
I really like the idea of cloning. I am a major supporter of genetics research and hope to be a breeder of this beautiful plant one day. Using the cloning method is a perfect way to keep your strain constant and need to get good at this.
I am open to all advice and criticisms. Just know that I WILL ALWAYS stick to DWC growing/cloning. It is the method i prefer best so when giving advice, please don't just tell me to switch to aeroponics or something. It's like telling a english major to switch to Egineering because engineers are more popular and successful right now...
anywho, enough ranting. here is m set up:
Nutrients: Flora series Hydro, right now at a 5% solution of recommended strength for vegetative growth.
Medium: Expanding clay pebbles in net lids on black buckets with air stone in each.
Lights: 4 foot, 8 bulb, T5, 6500K, and they hand approx. 10" above the plant.
So i got these clones in 4 days ago, on the 20th of march. The grower who sold them to me cut them ~2 hours before they were in my hands. He covered the stem in powdered rooting hormone and put them in rock wool. (Note: the rock wool was not pre-soaked because the grower did not know I was doing hydro.) When I brought the plants back o my place i pulled them out of the rock wool, rinsed the stem under distilled water, made a new cut underwater ~1/2 inch above the original. Pulled stem out of water and dipped into eZcone's gel rooting hormone and then placed into 8" net pots with the stem approx. 2" buried under the rocks.
I then put the net pot lids with clones on the black buckets. I made sure that the water line (of distilled 5% nutrient water) was 1" below where the cut on the stem was in the rocks. I sprayed a clone dome with 6.0ph water and put on top of both black buckets with clones in them. Since I did not want the plants under full light, I then put a sheet of mylar over the clone dome so that it was blocking a about 60% of the light hitting the plants. I spray the clone dome approx 3 times a day, each time making sure the clone dome has completely dried out (so that the plant will search for roots).
This is what the clones look like after 4 days. Clone 1 looks bad(first 2 pics) but clone 2 looks good, i think the yellowing leaves is the plant using energy to make roots.