G13 Auto Blueberry, G13 Auto Pineapple Express & Dinafem Fruit Auto in the
The Grow Room forums; Decided to try an all Auto grow.
Growing in a closet, DWC in 3.5 Gal buckets, using 250wHPS and I've ...
G13 Auto Blueberry, G13 Auto Pineapple Express & Dinafem Fruit Auto
Decided to try an all Auto grow.
Growing in a closet, DWC in 3.5 Gal buckets, using 250wHPS and I've added some snap reflectors with 6500k CFLs and added a small T-5 I have just to give the plants some blue spectrum light on 18/6.
Fruit and Pineapple Express germed on 9/26, Blueberry on 9/29.
All went into the buckets as seedlings on 10/1.
Here we are 12 days in:
Fruit: Day 12 001.jpg
Pineapple Express: Day 12 003.jpg
Blueberry: Day 12 005.jpg
Day 14 Update:
Fruit: Day 14 001.jpg Blueberry: Day 14 003.jpg Pineapple Express: Day 14 005.jpg
Very pleased with the progress so far. Next time I update I will include pics of the roots.
Temp 79, RH 49%
Looking good so far john.... sub'd....
I like the way you offset the hole for the net pot to the side of the bucket. Is that to aid your access to the air-stone or measuring PPM/pH?
I did that for a few reasons. My thinking was that with my small grow space, that would be one way of keeping the growing plants from getting in each others' way as they compete for light. The other thing it has done is it allows me access to the res without allowing much light to hit the water, which is always a concern (Algae, increasing temps etc.). I can fool around in the res without really disturbing the plant much by placing the top in such a way that off-set hole allows me some space to work and the plant roots still stay submerged. I am not sure it is any more functional that putting the hole in the center of the lid, but it was what I was thinking when I did it.
Originally Posted by jela10
I also have an extra bucket, so on the few occasions I change the res, the plants are relatively undisturbed.
Day 15 update:
Pineapple Express: Day 15 001.jpg Roots: Day 15 002.jpg
Fruit: Day 15 003.jpg Roots: Day 15 004.jpg
Blueberry: Day 15 005.jpg Roots: Day 15 006.jpg
I did a res change tonight and upped the PPM levels of the Nutes in all 3 plants. I snapped these pics a few hours later and noticed some staining on my roots. This will be something I watch very closely, as my roots were pearly white before I did the res change.
Last edited by BigLittlejohn; 10-15-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Reason: Wasn't done and it post by accident
OK, here we are at Day 17. When I say Day 17, I mean the 17th day the plants have been in buckets. All of them sat for 3 days to a week in my propagation tray and humidity dome until my house guest left. So technically they are a bit older that 17 days, but tracking from the day they went into the buckets is easier for me.
Anyway, here's how we look today. I am very pleased with the progress.
Pineapple Express:Day 17 001.jpg Day 17 002.jpg
Fruit: Day 17 004.jpg Day 17 006.jpg
Blueberry: Day 17 007.jpg Day 17 008.jpg
The staining on my roots has seemed to work itself out, they are all pearly white again, though you cannot tell from these pictures due to the red hue of the HPS.
BB PPM = 590 PH 5.8
Fruit PPM = 540 PH 5.9
PE PPM - 510 PH 6.0
I am very pleased with the progress so far. Fruit is already starting to stink a little bit as is the P.E. and none of the plants are showing any pre-flowering yet.
I will update again on Friday or Saturday.
I'd love to do some DWC one day so I'll be asking a lot of questions.....I would have to use the winter months where I live cause every hydro attempt so far was a disaster (pyhium, algae, clear slime ect.) I can't even run a Turbo-clone aero-cloner without having to break that darned thing down and clean it out in a hurry.....sheesh.
Ask away man. I am no expert and am still learning, but I will happily share my experience. This is my 2nd grow, and I've only grown DWC. I know a lot of experienced growers say don't try hydro first but I figured, why not? What really convinced me, as I was researching, coming across a youtube of a guy running two clones from the same mother in the same room under the same conditions, one with soil and the other DWC, and the difference in the sizes of the plants was tremendous. That and how easy it is to build yourself.
I live in a hot state, and there are things you can do for heat. Water chillers work and I've read, but not tried because I haven't had the issue, that CO2 helps to mitigate high temps. In addition to nutrients I also use Aqua Shield which has beneficial microbes which help prevent issues you mention ultimately leading to root rot.
I've gotten rid of the T-5. The plants have gotten big enough were all it was doing was eating electricity.
Both Blueberry and Fruit are showing pre-flower pistils.
I will post some updated pics tomorrow.